Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Volunteers from abroad in Moruca, taking a break.


There has been several groups of volunteers from abroad in Moruca for the last couple of years, which are teachers and doctors. The volunteers work at the Santa Rosa Secondary School and at the Kumaka District Hospital which is located at Kumaka. They are mainly from the groups of Worldteach and PeaceCorps. They really make a difference in peoples lives and I really respect them for that. They learn to adapt to the way of the Amerindians in Moruca. About now I really don't know if they are still volunteering in Moruca or anyother part of the interior.

After a hard day of work I'm sure they take a time to relax.

When I was there(Moruca September2007) I happen to be there for the Amerindian Heritage. They had a day of sports and a little presentation which I enjoyed very much. That day I met some of the volunteers, down to earth and friendly people.

We chatted for a bit, then we took cups of "fly", no beer. It was a little too sweet I think, but good. Seeing them drink the "fly" and there faces turned red, all I was thinking was-hope they don't feel sick tomorrow.

I heard the next day they were all fine. Even though being in a foreign country, much less a place where there is little technology, they learn to adapt to the way of the people and there culture. Letting loose after a week of work by drinking "fly" is definitly part of Amerindians in Moruca.











No comments: